Although I don’t know what kind of news coverage there is where you are, I hope you know that Donald Trump is this country’s new president – and that from the perspective of many Americans, he’s wreaking havoc on our democracy.
As the National Organization for Women has reported, immediately following his inauguration, he:
- Removed from the White House website research and reports on rape, sexual assault, and domestic violence.
- Stripped the Department of Labor’s website of a report on lesbians, bi, gay and transgender people and LGBT workplace discrimination.
- Wiped clean from the White House website information on the threat of climate change and efforts to combat it.
- Dismantle the Affordable Care Act.
- Reinstate the Global Gag Rule on women.
- Proceed with the Keystone and Dakota pipelines.
I’m quite sure last week’s march was only the beginning of our work to protect the freedoms and opportunities this country offers us – and that we, unfortunately, can no longer take for granted. Secure in my own beliefs as a feminist, an American, a liberal Jew, and a human being, I am prepared to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty in an effort to make America think again. In the meantime, I was beyond proud to join with hundreds of thousands of other sign-toting New Yorkers in the march up Fifth Avenue – and I know you were there too, marching right beside me.