- Change towels/linens
- Read for class
- Pay bills (with a list of the specific bills that are due in the coming week)
Today’s weekend list also included the following task: Print slides for economics class.
To accomplish this task, I left the office, met a friend for coffee, and then headed to the library building to print the slides. (Although I could, of course, print them at home, it is a lot of pages for my less-than-heavy-duty printer and since I receive a thousand pages of printing each semester as part of the "technology fee," this seemed like a good use for some of those pages.) Unfortunately, when I logged in at the computer center, Blackboard, the electronic program that makes all course materials available via the web, was down. The yellow-vested students posing as “Staff” were of no help whatsoever. Said one to a young woman a few seats away from me who also was unable to access Blackboard, “It was working an hour ago…maybe it’ll come back in a while. If not, try later tonight.” Very helpful… yet again, confirming the notion that Baruch is, in fact, the school I love to hate.
And so I came home, only to find myself “tagged” by several Facebook friends, asking that I “write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals” to send back to the people who tagged me, as well as to others. So, although I cannot yet cross off “Print slides for economics class” from my weekend list, I have created the following list of “Twenty Five Random Things About Me.” Enjoy…
1. In high school I took a professional assessment test that said I should consider a career as a nun.
2. I could live on carbs...french fries, mac and cheese, baked potatoes...
3. I was once fired from a job because, according to my boss, I couldn't write.
4. I love Judaica and Jewish music of all kinds. Can't wait for the next Biennial CD to come out.
5. I married the first guy I ever dated, but I don't necessarily recommend this approach.
6. In high school I drove a 1976 Toyota Corolla station wagon -- bright yellow with wood paneling on the side.
7. During my senior year of college and for a few years after, I drove a turquoise blue Dodge Aspen (with a big rust spot on the hood).
8. I spend waaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on Facebook.
9. Unreturned phone calls and bad grammar are two of my biggest pet peeves.
10. I've never lived outside the United States.
11. I've never been to Chicago.
12. I don't own a DVD player...and have only had my iPod for about a year.
13. One summer during college, I worked for the New Jersey Turnpike Authority (way before EasyPass) and could recite -- in the correct order -- every exit from the Delaware Memorial Bridge to the George Washington Bridge. Now?...Not so much. And, no, I wasn't a toll collector. I worked in the administrative offices at Exit 9 (New Brunswick).
14. During the other summers (and during winter breaks), I worked at the Franklin Township Public Library...always had first dibs on the best new books...and ran the projector for the Saturday kiddie movies. (No DVDs back then -- you actually had to thread the film through the projector.)
15. My own favorite movie is the Sound of Music and my favorite part is near the end when the nuns take the starters out of the Nazis' cars (hmmmmm, see #1 above...) so the Von Trapps can get a head start over the Alps.
16. Last fall I started writing my own blog. I'm not sure that I "get" the whole blogging phenomenon, or know exactly where I'm going with mine, but for the moment I'm having a good time with it.
17. I also write regularly for the Union for Reform Judaism's blog.
18. As a sophomore in college, I attended a rabbinic recruitment weekend at HUC-JIR in Cincinnati, but it didn't "take." (hmmmmm, see #1 above).
19. Woefully out of touch with pop culture, I don't know Brad Pitt from Tom Hanks, from Tom Selleck...Britney Spears from Paris Hilton from Lindsay Lohan...or anyone in between. And truthfully, I don't really care who these people are or what they're up to...
20. Don't know Merlot from Cianti, Chardonnay from Pinot Noir... often just order the house white or a Riesling. Blue Moon is my beer of choice and I drink my margaritas on the rocks with no salt (bad for the hypertension).
21. Before NYC, I lived in Los Angeles, CA and before that just outside Hanover, NH. To move my car from New Hampshire to California, I drove over Loveland Pass during a blizzard. To get it from LA to NYC, I put it on a car carrier. Much better...
22. Two summers ago, I survived two weeks of travel in eastern Europe and Israel with hundreds of 16-year-olds and no luggage. The things I could tell you about Czech and Polish underwear you do not want to know.
23. Except for Jeopardy, the Food Network and re-runs of House and Law and Order SVU, I hardly watch any television.
24. When I was about 7 or 8 years old, I got lost on the Washington Mall on the Fourth of July. Apparently, my mother was less concerned about finding me than she was about figuring out how she would explain my disappearance to her own mother. Obviously, my family found me and all's well... ;-)
25. I have never colored or straightened my hair...and I don't intend to do either anytime soon.